College Savings Plan Gets Simpler in New York State
By CATHERINE BILKEY, Special to the Sun
June 16, 2008
Like many college graduates, Judith Le, 24, is in debt.
"Considering I'm about to go to law school and then enter the nonprofit sector, I have no idea how I'm going to pay it all off," Ms. Le, who graduated from New York University owing $30,000, said. "By the time I'm all done with school, I'll have six figures worth of debt."
Share Share Email
A scene from the Columbia University commencement ceremony on May 21 at the school's Morningside Heights campus.
Now New York State is seeking to alleviate the lingering costs of higher education. A new law, signed by Governor Paterson last month, allows more people to contribute to college savings plans.
In the past, only the account holder, usually a parent, in the state's 529 College Savings Program could deposit funds. Under the new law, relatives, employers, and friends can chip in.
Visits
Monday, June 16, 2008
College Savings Plan Gets Simpler in New York State
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment